A typical WSUS server is getting more and more updates over time and disk space needed for those updates is growing. Unfortunately the integrated Cleanup Wizard does only half of the work needed, to really cleanup the WSUS server from unnecessary updates.
Decline superseded updates
- Open WSUS admin console and go to “All Updates”.
- Change “Approval” to “Any Except Declined” and “Status” to “Any” and click on “Refresh”.
- Right-click on the table header and select “Supersedence” to be displayed.
- Sort the list of updates for the “Supersedence” status.
- Mark all updates with the icon the following two icons and decline them.
- Now you can run the “Server Cleanup Wizard” under “Options”.
Alternate to Server Cleanup Wizard
Starting from Windows Server 2012 R2 you can also cleanup the WSUS server using PowerShell.
Get-WsusServer | Invoke-WsusServerCleanup -CleanupObsoleteComputers -CleanupObsoleteUpdates -CleanupUnneededContentFiles -CompressUpdates -DeclineExpiredUpdates -DeclineSupersededUpdates